Home | Student Life & Resources | | Counseling Services   Counseling Services

Counseling Services

’s Student Counseling Center is a department within Student Services that provides mental health counseling to students currently taking in-person classes at the campus. Our services are free and completely confidential.  Students are only seen on an appointment basis, which can be made by calling our office at (334) 670-3700.

Important Information & Emergency Contacts

If you experience a mental health emergency after hours, please contact:

Police - 911
Suicide and Crisis Lifeline - 988

 (334) 670-3700
Fax: (334) 670-3790
E-mail: scc@troy.edu
Address: Jack G Paden House, 112 Veterans Memorial Drive, , AL 36082
Hours: Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.

*Office hours are subject to change based on holidays designated in the academic calendar.


Illustration of someone being counseled

Personal Counseling & Parent Information

College is often an exciting but stressful time for students. It is not uncommon for problems to arise that may interfere with an individual's academic and personal success. provides free, confidential mental health counseling to students currently enrolled in at least 1 credit hour, on-site at the Campus. The staff at the counseling office has experience working with a variety of issues that college students face. Some of these issues include, but are not limited to:

    • Family Problems
    • Adjusting to College Life
    • Stress
    • Anxiety
    • Trouble with Roommates or Friends
    • Depression
    • Sexual Assault
    • Relationship Problems
    • Substance Use/Abuse
    • Mental Illness
    • Grief/Loss
    • Eating Disorders
    • Sexuality Concerns
    • Interpersonal Violence


Students needing extensive or specialized services may be referred to the appropriate community resource.

Students are seen only on an appointment basis, which can be made by calling our office at (334) 670-3700. 

The Student Counseling Center has compiled this list of resources for parents of students at . For more information, please contact us using the information on the side of this page. 


protecting your child's mental health: what can parents do?

Starting the Conversation

Supporting Your Student While Letting Them Go 


Frequently asked questions about counseling

Are my visits confidential?
Yes. There are exceptions, such as when there is a threat to your or someone else’s safety. Your counselor will review the confidentiality rules with you during your first session.
Does counseling go on my academic record?
No. Your counseling records remain securely stored in our offices. Please click here for more information about the Student Counseling Center’s Release of Counseling Records Policy.
How much does it cost to receive personal counseling services at ?
Counseling services are free to students currently enrolled in at least one credit hour on-site at 's campus.
How many sessions can I attend each semester?
The counselors at the SCC provide short-term therapy. Therefore, the number of sessions a student may attend is limited and left to the discretion of their counselor. It is essential that students actively participate in sessions, work hard outside of sessions, keep scheduled appointments, and reschedule with proper notice.
Will I be allowed to choose or switch my counselor?
No. Once assigned a counselor at our office, you will meet with that counselor for your treatment at the Student Counseling Center. If, for some reason, you do not want to continue meeting with your assigned counselor, but you wish to continue treatment, we can refer you to another mental health agency.
What can I expect during the first session?
Before your initial appointment, we will send you an email with a reminder of your appointment date and time and a link to our paperwork. We ask that you fill out and submit that paperwork before your appointment. Your first session with your counselor is considered an intake session and involves information gathering. You must be open and honest with your counselor so they can figure out a treatment approach that will best suit your needs.
Can I be seen right away or do I need to make an appointment to see a counselor?
You will need to make an appointment to meet with a counselor. We typically do not see students the same day they make an appointment unless they are in crisis. You can call our office at (334) 670-3700.
Does the counseling center prescribe medication?
No. We do, however, assist with referrals for medication when appropriate.
Can I get an excuse for missed classes, assignment or tests?

We DO NOT provide documentation for missed classes, tests, or assignments. Decisions regarding requests for any other type of documentation will be left to your counselor and considered only in extreme circumstances. In addition, we require at least one week's advance notice for such requests.  

Also, your recruitment group will be eating together one meal each day off campus; please be prepared to pay for this. We also recommend having snacks and drinks in your residence hall room during the week.   

Can I get a medical withdrawal?
The counselors are not responsible for authorizing medical withdrawals. Our staff can recommend them when it is clinically appropriate, but the ultimate decision is not up to us. We cannot recommend them to students with whom we have had no or minimal contact, especially when it is late in the semester.
What should I do if I have a friend that I am concerned about?
Be honest, and let your friend know that you are concerned about them and their well-being. Give them our information and encourage them to contact us. Frame any decision to seek and accept help as a sign of strength.
Does the Student Counseling Center provide documentation for emotional support/comfort animals?
No, the Student Counseling Center does not provide support letters for emotional support/comfort animals.
Cookie Acknowledgment
This website uses cookies to collect information and to improve your browsing experience. Please review our privacy statement for more information.